Saturday, July 31, 2010

Come & Get us Kevin Bacon!!

Day Three

When I first started talking to my family about coming up for a visit, my aunt suggested we "go down to Delaware". My only thought was "why"? What the heck were we going to do in Delaware? Antique shopping? I asked my Mom and she just started laughing at me. As usual, I had misheard my aunt. She said, "float down the Delaware", a reference to the river you can go canoeing or rafting down. Fun!

The trip from the top of the mountain to the river should have taken about 20 minutes. However, an hour later we were totally lost and trapped on the windiest road in the history of roads. I thought for sure we would be flung into space and rolling down the mountain. See, we are all geniuses. No one had been to this particular rafting company in 3 years but we all assumed we knew where it was and what to do. After stopping at a gas station (manned by a really weird and rude woman) we turned around, passed the road curves of doom, and found our drop site- back in town!


Everything worked out all right and we were soon shuttled back up the mountain by the loveliest guy (hello tattoos) and into our rafts. The obvious joke went going down river is to hum banjo music and tell anyone you're with that they "sure have a pretty mouth". Instead, we paid homage to a little film called "The River Wild" starring Meryl Streep, David Stratharin, and Mr Kevin Bacon.

"Come get us Kevin Bacon!!"
"Kevin Bacon!"
"Put Meryl down and come get us Kevin Bacon!"

I was a bit disappointed by the Delaware. It was VERY slow and there not that many rapids. Every time we saw one though we got very excited and paddled our little hearts out. It was a lot more work than I anticipated! Finally, after 5 hours, we were done. I did not have a water proof camera, but will try to get the pics from the raft and post some later. Now, there was only one thing on my mind: Polar Bear.
After our disappointment at the Dairy Bar, I really needed Polar Bear to be the same. They are the place for Hershey's ice cream and amazing shakes.

Once back up the mountain, I felt like I was still in motion. "I'm on a boat!" Maybe I had sunstroke, maybe this is what happens when you float the river. What I do know is the tops of my knees got sunburned (thanks shorts) and now they look bruised and odd.

We ended our day in what is and has become the traditional way: games and hats. I'm sad to be leaving tomorrow but so excited about New York, seeing my friends, and exploring the boroughs!

1 comment:

  1. I am regular reader, how are you everybody? This post posted at this website is really pleasant.


    Stop by my blog post :: right left arrow

    ReplyDelete

20sb