We're well past the half way mark of 2010, yet the best of film (or at least what the studios hope to be the best, aka Oscar bait) is still to come. So, what better time than now to look back on the year that already was. Below are my picks for the best, worse, and undecided movies of the year. Obviously this is all based on what I've seen (and not just my conjecture that a certain movie must be crap), so please fill in what I've missed! Better yet, let me know where I'm wrong.
In no particular order:
* Inception- One of my picks for best movie of the year
* Kick-Ass- I'm not sure how I missed reviewing this movie. Oh yea, I saw it on vacation. The point is, if you haven't seen it yet, "What are you waiting for?!". Heck, my Mom liked this movie and that's saying a lot. Regardless of how you feel about superhero movies or comics, "Kick Ass" will blow your expectations out of the water. It's a film about growing up, standing up, and yea; kicking ass.
* Never Let Me Go- Another pick for movie of the year
* Iron Man 2- I don't think I really need to say anything about this one but I will. Dear Hollywood: This is how you make a blockbuster. See also: anything by Christopher Nolan. That is all.
* Shutter Island- People either loved or hated this movie as I've come to find out. I loved it. Sure, I figured out the twist before the half way mark but I didn't care. The relationship between Scorsese and DeCaprio is one that I hope continues for a long time. They really pull the best work from each other. Strong supporting characters (I heart you Mark Ruffalo and am confused why you are playing The Hulk; but then I was surprised when Edward Norton did it and it turned out alright so lets just see) propel this movie from good to great.
* The Switch
* Repo Men
* The Extra Man
* 44 Inch Chest
* The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
* Date Night
* The Last Airbender (see: Predators for review)
* Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightening Thief (see: Girl w/Dragon Tattoo)
* The Crazies
* The Wolfman
* Leap Year (see: Splice)