Monday, October 26, 2009

H-A-LL-O-W-EE-N Spells Halloween

Oh, Halloween candy, you are the devil! There’s a bowl of it in my office now and I can’t stop dipping into it. That’s not even taking into consideration the kitty cat candy dish I have stashed in my drawer. They contain all my favorites! Mellowcreme Pumpkins, Reece’s Peanut Butter Cups, Kit Kats, Twizzlers, Candy Corn, Hershey Kisses, oh my!

I’ve been obsessed with Halloween for as long as I can remember. One of my earliest memories is sitting on the living room floor with my father and sister, cutting out bats and cats and witches to decorate our windows with. We would be covered in glitter and chalk for days. One year, we created tombstones out of cardboard and buried them in our yard. We carved pumpkins, now I just paint them.

I had a Halloween party at my house when I was in Kindergarten. I know we played homemade Twister and ate lots of candy, but otherwise; I would have to refer to the copious photos my mother took to tell you more. I’ve been a witch, vampire, clown, Cleopatra, Catwoman, dancer, assassin, zombie. I can’t even remember all my costumes, except that my mother made most of them. This year, I’m drawing a complete blank. My perfect idea was ruined by my procrastination and now I don’t have the time to make it. I’m beginning to freak out. What am I going to be? I can’t be nothing. That is unacceptable.
Now, as an adult, I can’t shake it: The thought that my house is incomplete without skeleton cardboard cutouts, green and purple twinkle lights, black and orange crepe paper. It’s so bad; I leave most of it up year round. There’s Dracula guarding the back door. A punched tin skeleton over the books, and several dragons, bats, and things on the books themselves. A door hanger reading “BOO!!”, a black skull garland over my hallway door. The lights stay up all year too. What’s the point? Christmas is just around the corner. I have two entire shelves devoted to the macabre, one for all “Nightmare Before Christmas” paraphernalia, the other for miscellaneous doo-dad’s I’ve picked up along the way. Who am I kidding? Every available surface in my house has something Halloween related on it. My TV stand has a motorized Dracula, my stereo houses several crystal skulls, and my wardrobe with several snow globes and a 3-foot tall Jack Skellington doll.


Maybe I have a problem.

3 comments:

  1. I love Halloween more than Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't call it a "problem" so much as I would a "compulsion". Much (if not exactly) like my Army of Darkness/Evil Dead collection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree more! All the fun with none of the disappointment.
    PS- Jay, please tell me you have the Evil Ash Action Figure? It talks and everything!

    ReplyDelete

20sb