Saturday, October 3, 2009

I'm not being rude, I'm just loud

Ugh, so it's Saturday and that normally means something random, but I gotta tell you; I got nothing. I spent the week at work, bored, or at home watching TV. The monotony was broken only by jury duty Wednesday and I already wrote about that. I re-discovered that I am very loud and that some people don't like that. Thankfully, others think it's hilarious.
I've kind of lost my filter. I used to be good at hiding my emotions from my face. I used to be good at keeping my thoughts to myself. I used to be better about gossiping. No more. There doesn't seem to be anything stopping me from saying I don't think someone is attractive when they're within earshot. Or, from telling someone exactly what I think about their outfit/opinion/boyfriend or girlfriend.

Is this a bad thing? Perhaps, given the level at which I normally talk, it's not especially great; but what about in general? Is there such a thing as too much honesty? I would think so, but where is the line? I try my hardest not to upset my friends. If I did, I'm sure I'd be looking for new ones real quick. Strangers, well, you know how I feel about them already so I think they're fair game.

Why are there certain topics we're not supposed to talk about? How do we learn more or satisfy our own curiosity if we can't ask questions? Surely there is a way to talk about anything with some grace and respect. Look at the two deadly sins of conversation: politics and religion. Why can't I ask someone about being Republican or Democrat? Why can't we talk about the differences between Catholic and Baptist and Jehovah's Witness? Why are these inappropriate "party conversations"? The only reason we're supposed to avoid these topics is because we cannot be honest with ourselves and we cannot be tolerant of others. Aren't we supposed to learn tolerance at home, or if not there, then at school? As far as I'm concerned, as long as you know what you're talking about or why you feel the way you do, the topic is open for discussion. The only thing I can't tolerate is someone who spouts off an opinion with no way of backing it up. "Because" didn't work when we were kids, and it's not going to work now.

Curiosity may have killed the cat, but he had 8 more lives when he was done. We should embrace that philosophy and charge ourselves to learn more about the people and the world around us. Maybe not in such an abrupt and forward way as I do, but in whatever way works for you. PS- If I ever offend you in conversation, I'm sure I don't mean too. That or you're too sensitive and should really work on that.

Here's a little cartoon c/o I can haz :

1 comment:

  1. I agree 100%. People are too damn sensitive. Actually, I think people, in general, are really good at having opinions with no idea why. It's what they've always heard or it's what their parents believed or whatever.

    Think for yourself, people!

    Ahem, I'm loud, too.

    ReplyDelete

20sb