Wednesday, October 7, 2009

You Smell Real Purty...

Fall and winter are my favorite times of year. In Texas, these are relatively defined terms, but any break from weather should be a state holiday. This past week though, the weather cannot decide what it wants to do and I need it to get on the ball. As much as I love my galoshes, I’d like to finally put them away long enough to dry out. I’d also like to always have to throw on a scarf when leaving the house.

[side note: Come on weather! You know sweater season is good for everyone. Have you seen me in a sweater? I have, and let me tell you, it’s probably my best look.]

My number one reason for loving cooler weather is that I get to wear my favorite fragrance, Narciso Rodriguez. While light, frilly, girly, floral perfumes have a time and a place (see those 100ยบ days I was talking about), I don’t particularly like them. Even in the warmer months, I am bound to slip in something with a heavier musk base then one with vanilla or vetiver. You may be asking yourself, “What the hell is she talking about?” Well, let me break it down for you:

Creating perfume is a complicated procedure. The main things you, the consumer, should know are the basic layers of fragrance. These are the things sometimes printed on sample bottles and always being rattled off by the sales person. The Top Notes are the most aggressive. This is what you smell first when you apply a fragrance. The scents composing this layer are also the most fleeting. They begin to break down immediately and blend with the layer below it. The Middle or Heart Notes compose the body of the fragrance. These help remove any harsh qualities the top notes have. The Base Notes are the foundation of any fragrance. This level represents staying power and more hearty scents. The most common are Musk, Vanilla, Amber, and Patchouli. This whole process takes anywhere from 15 minutes to several hours, which is why it is important to spray a new fragrance on yourself then walk around a bit. If you still like it 20 minutes later, you’re good to go.

How does this all tie into my original statement on seasonal wear-ability? Fragrance is heavily influenced by your body’s temperature, not just your body’s chemical make-up. Every fragrance smells differently on everyone. In warmer months, the “deeper” fragrances can become over powering. It is also important to switch out your signature scent periodically to avoid nasal fatigue. (We’ve all witnessed it: The woman or man who seems to have bathed in their perfume and are subsequently trying to kill you with it. Do us all a favor: The best way to apply EDP or EDT is to spray it into the air and walk through the cloud. If you have pure parfum, apply to pulse points like the wrist and hollow of your throat.)

Now, back to my love of the fall and the brilliance of Narciso Rodriguez. This perfume comes complete with my own “surgeon general’s” warning. A heartwarming story: Back in the day at our favorite bar, I was wearing Narciso and the gentleman in my group became uncontrollable. I know! I wouldn’t believe it either if it were not happening to me. It was like I was in some sort of TV ad. They wanted to hug me and smell my neck. One friend became so obsessed with the scent, I had to institute a 2-foot radius between him and me for fear he would devour me. It was hilarious!

“This is my circle, and that is your circle. Do not enter my circle!”

On a tragic note, this gentleman’s girlfriend and one of my best friends tried the same trick and he didn’t even notice she was wearing it. No, not because he’s insensitive or the relationship was dwindling; but because it smelled completely different on her.

Needless to say, whatever feelings I had about this particular fragrance were immediately inflated 10 fold. It has become my go to for all occasions and I am so glad to begin wearing it again. It’s spicy and sensual with notes of Egyptian Musk, Orange Blossom, Amber, Coriander, and Vanilla. Fragrance is extremely personal and for good reason: The sense of smell is the most powerful memory trigger.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go back to smelling my wrist and purring to myself. I wish you good luck, and as always, am here for you and to offer suggestions. Trust me, I’m a professional and I have the certificate to prove it!To help you find your perfect new fragrance for Fall, visit: The Fragrance Directory for all the latest releases, and well as a fragrance match system that suggests new fragrances based on what you already like.

2 comments:

  1. I used to spray that cheap Jovan White Musk crap and walk in to it (back when I had curly hair), and dudes used to come up and sniff my hair all the time. I mean, full-blown SNIFF. So funny what drives people wild. I still wear a musk fragrance, but I've graduated from the scents they used to peddle at Mervyn's. Good times.

    P.S. Don't be surprised if I give ya a good sniff next time we hang out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. I'm totally sniffing you.

    I don't even usually wear perfume and dudes are always sniffing me. I wonder what that means...

    ReplyDelete

20sb