Sunday, October 25, 2009

Quoth the Raven

My book club is reading "The Stranger" this month. I'm excited as I haven't read it since High School. I took 4 years of AP English, and I'm glad I did. The books we read, so different from what the others were reading, fortified me. "A Doll's House", "The Great Gatsby", "Othello", "The Turn of the Screw", "The House of the Spirits", "Things Fall Apart". The writing, for we wrote a lot. The freedom to express opinion and feeling in research papers built on fact. If I regret anything, it's that I missed out on a lot of the more conventional classics. Perhaps that is why I've set this goal for myself: To read 3 classics a year. Not a lot in the grand scheme of things, but a reasonable number for sure. This year, I've already read 2: "Long Days Journey Into Night" and "Dead Souls". I'm thinking Bronte for my final book this year. According to Goodreads, I've only read 90 classics. That just doesn't seem right, but the biggest problem is remembering all the books you read 10 years ago. It's a daunting task to be sure.

As this is Sunday, I feel I should give you some form of a list. What follows are my favorite quotes, many from books. Do you remember your Senior quote? What was it?

"A dependable facet of life: Everything’s always worse then you thought it would be." -Dorothy Parker

"In each of us, there is another, whom we do not know." -Carl Jung

"We all see things not as they are, but as we are." -Anais Nin

"Pain is fear leaving the body." -Sailor Jerry Swallow

"Half the world is composed of idiots, the other half is composed of people clever enough to take indecent advantage of them." -Walter Kerr

"When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to change sides."- Mark Twain (my Senior quote)

"The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference." -Elie Wiesel

"Solitude is fine but you need someone to tell that solitude is fine." -Honore de Balzac

"To desire is to wish back for something already lost, Or to prolong what is already unbearable." -Any Tam

No comments:

Post a Comment

20sb